Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Kids

The kids here are super cute. Some of them are the sweetest kids ever, and some of them just have attitudes galore.... something you'd think I'd be used to after subbing full time in a middle school. But, I'm not. Awesome.

They pitch fits, get in verbal fights in their native tongue (aka I can't understand them), and start crying for, seemingly, no reason whatsoever. But, I mean, what else do you expect from kids aged 7 in Korea, but 5/6 internationally? Yea, I'll explain later, when I have a better understanding of it.

So, my "homeroom" so-to-speak is one of the two oldest classes here at Feinschule (fine-shoe-lay). We are called the KING class. Personally, I'd prefer "Princess," but I'll settle with King... The other 7 year old class is Katie's "homeroom" and they are called ROBOT. I also have "6" year olds, named ZEBRA and ELEPHANT classes. I am also in charge of story time for a "5" year old class called PUPPY. Thennnnn (deep breath) I have two classes on the first floor (aka preschool, aka too small to have any name). I think they're "4" years old... not entirely sure though. Anyways, I only have once a week, 20 minutes each. I just read and sing to them... a lot. Oh, and give out lots of high-fives (super popular).

So, the kids trickle into school from 9-9:45 ish. For the first fifty minutes (9-9:50) they read to me Monday through Thursday then copy the story. This is King class, by the way. On Fridays, I've had them practice their spelling words to prepare for their weekly spelling test. At 9:50, we have snack. That is supposed to end at 10, but really ends at like 10:05/10 because the kids are slow. Then they have classes from 10-10:40, 10:40-11:20, 11:20-12, 12-12:40, lunch, playtime/circle time, and class 1:40-2:10. At 2:10 they pack up and are dismissed at 2:20. A lot of them stay for afterschool activities/extra classes, though. A lot of work for such tiny people, yeah?!

On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I have afternoon classes with elementary kids 8-10 years old. They aren't too terrible, I mean, I like them. Then on Thursday, I have a speaking class with a girl from my homeroom, Cindy. She's a pistol. Seriously. TEENY person with a HUGE personality

So yep. That's the general schedule. The teachers move around from class to class and sometimes take the kids, too. It's a lot. But it keeps me busy so I don't have much down time, which is nice because it goes by really quickly. By the time we get off work at 5:30 and get home close to six, I am so worn out I hardly ever want to do anything! That kinda sucks. Last week, we went out a bunch of times, but this week has been super chill. No complaints there, though. Ha.

I'll do another update about Seoul once I go back up again and snap me some photos. But, believe me when I say, it's pretty. Ok ok, I'll write a bit about it here. As Katie and I were walking towards City Hall, which we think is just like a street sort of...a big street... there were really gorgeous mountains towards the right. As we stepped onto City Hall the middle of the giant street had statues and water spouts coming from the ground that kids were playing on. It was so pretty. I really can't wait to get pics. Ok that's all I've got for now. Sorryyyyy. :D

1 comment:

  1. Love it...If I was 6 I would want to be in the Elephant Class :P

    ReplyDelete