Sunday, March 18, 2012

Snow Day! Wait, uh, I mean Dust Day!!

YELLOW!

Ahhh Sunday Funday. It marks the start of a new week here, in good ol' Kuwait. You wake up super early to get ready for school. Eat breakfast before 6:15 am. Board the bus to school at 6:25 am after other morning rituals. Hang out with momma and go over the kindergarten to set up for class. At least, that's what USUALLY happens in the morning time.

Today, however, was a bit different. Still woke up for school, but (silly me) woke up a whole hour early. Really weird slash not really okay. Made and ate some b-fast, got in the elevator to go downstairs to the bus. Not realizing how cold it was today, I decided to head back upstairs for my hoodie. I got on the elevator and pressed 7. The elevator started to climb then stopped on floor 3. I groaned to myself about silly elevators and how they stop at weird floors. The doors didn't open, though, and the elevator started to descend. I reached the ground floor and the button lights went off. I couldn't press anything. I started to freak out because I was realizing that I was stuck in the elevator. The elevator went back up to the third floor, stopped, then back to the ground floor, stopped, lights off, back up, and it did this maybe 3 times. After the first time, though, I pressed the alarm button. It did absolutely nothing except make a lot of noise. I held the button down while pounding on the metal door. Nothing. No one came for me. I reached the ground floor again and decided I'd try to open it myself. Thankfully, I did after a tid bit of a struggle (kisses biceps) and ran to the bus without a hoodie and my dust mask on.

So, I got on the bus and started to cry a bit because I was a bit in shock. We drove to school and everything has a layer of dust on it. I walk into my new classroom that I will be in for the rest of the year and we get a call saying school was cancelled! The Ministry called school off because of the obscene amount of dust in the air. So exciting! My first ever dust day. A lot of the teachers were upset and angry for not being told earlier because they traveled 30 minutes or so to get to school and saw a couple of accidents. I go over to the middle school and everyone is practically jumping up and down in excitement. So exciting!

This ended up being a crazy-long post. My apologies. I will conclude this post with pictures of my day. Not of me crying or being stuck in the 'vator, though. No way, Jose.

Saturday, March 17th. Looking out L & P's apartment.

Sunday, March 18th. Dust Mask, heyooo!


The stairs leading up to the elementary school.

Peace, love, & Dust Days.

1 comment:

  1. DUST DAY! Niceuh! Remember when we had typhoon day? We all went running together! No school is awesome.

    P.S. youppea was the security text

    ReplyDelete