Thursday, November 1, 2012

Home sweet home: Pakistan edition

Since I've been home for four days, I guess it's sort of time to write about Pakistan, eh?

Well, as most of you know, our flight was delayed... three times.  Yea.  Ridiculous, right?  That's what I'm saying.  We flew on PIA.  The last time I remember flying on it, I just remember it being really smelly and how my parents just complained about it.  Because it was so cheap, though, we booked our tickets with PIA.  Supposedly they have quite a history with delaying their flights a trillion times before actually leaving, and we got a little taste of that!  So, 12 hours after we were supposed to take off, we finally were on the plane.

It takes about 3 hours to get to Lahore from here, so it wasn't too bad.  The pilots are awful and it's still smelly, but that's about it.

We got off the plane around midnight and were greeted by my uncle and taken home.  We didn't see many family members because, well, it was midnight.  So we went to sleep to ready ourselves for the next day, in which we were to go FABRIC SHOPPING!  My cousin is having her wedding in January and, since it's during a 3 day weekend, we are going to go!  YAY!

That's what we did pretty much our entire first day - fabric shop.  Because it was the day before Eid, it was CRAZY out in the streets, yo.  People can be crazy insane, including my father the Pakistani-Kuwaiti-American driver.  Oy.

Our second day there was Eid.  We didn't go out much that day, aside for going to a pharmacy and a grocery store right quick.  We had a couple visitors, which was nice to see again (after 2.5 years for me).  That was nice.  We received raw meat from neighbors and family and my uncle, dad, and I went to the butcher to pick up our part of a CAMEL we ordered!  YESSSS!!!!

That night, my married cousins came over and we had a BBQ-type thing in the yard.  It was cold out, so the huge fire was very much welcomed!  The chicken kabob was delicious and Saman made delicious salad thingie!  :)  It was a lot of fun hanging out with the family in that way.  I don't remember having a time like that - just hanging out and laughing that much and smiling that much and stuff.  It was really really lovely.

Our last day in Pakistan, we spent the majority of the day in/around the house to squeeze in as much time with Grandma as possible.  We ate our CAMEL for lunch and it was DELICIOUS!!!!  Ahhh.  Nice-uh.


This trip was exceptionally nice.  While we didn't get out too much, we spent some good QT time with the family that proved to be one of the best trips I've had there.  It's so weird that the older you get, the closer you might become to cousins and aunts and uncles.  I love my Grandma too much, too.  I'm so incredibly happy I got to see her while I could.  It makes me happy making her happy, smile, and laugh (which she did a lot of).  Although there is a huge language barrier, we still manage to have a lot of fun together and understand each other after a couple of minutes of guessing, which just adds to the fun.  I'm hoping that by January, I can learn a couple more phrases of Urdu (heyyy, Rosetta Stone).  I love her.

 Fabrics!

 Mama :)

 The craziness of people.

 Family BBQing

 Mama, Grandma, and Daddy

 Eid Mubarak, goat!

 What an excellent gift!

 Thumbs up for a great visit!

Peace, love, & family

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, if PIA pilots are anything like some of the Russian pilots I got to "experience" then you are one brave lady. ;)

    It looks and sounds like you had a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aeroflot?! Been there! Oy! Everyone clapped when the plane was landed safely! Hahaha.

      Delete
  2. You're cute. Glad you had fun. I like the fabric. I'm desparate for a craft over here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved all your instagram pics on your trip! Your grandma is so cute!

    P.S. I nominated you for a Liebster Award over on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete