Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sleepy Time

Sleeping in this much heat has proven to be quite a task for me. See, I'm very sleepy at midnight, but as soon as I get into bed at one-ish, I'm wide awake. I try everything I can think of to get myself to go to sleep. I read, I listen to soft music (ahem, Josh Groban, John Legend, Iron & Wine, and Michael Buble) but it doesn't seem to do the trick. Last night I went in and out of sleep until I was rudely awoken at 2:15 am drenched in sweat. The stupid electricity went out. "Ugh," I said as I rolled over to grab my Ipod and switch on Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince's audiobook. I listened to that until 2:59 am when the electricity finally came back on. A whole hour of me sweating in bed while everyone else rest silently without being bothered. "Okay, three o'clock." I thought to myself, "I can do this." I switched off Harry Potter and got comfy again and soon dozed into a very light slumber until I was rudely awaken by the sudden stillness that the night is; electricity went out again at 4 am. "OH MY GAHD. Are you serious?!" I screamed inwardly at myself. I tried, I desperately tried to go back to sleep, but instead, around 4:20ish I found myself crying. Yes, crying. Why? Oh ya know, the usual, missing family and friends, being anxious about my new life, lost loves, but mainly because I was so frustrated that I couldn't sleep for the life of me. I thought that this was definitely unfair. I rolled over once again, grabbed my Ipod and switched on Harry Potter. I had a fan in one hand and in the other, my podster. By 5 am the electricity finally came back on. "YES!" I switched off Harry Potter and rolled onto my stomach, intent on falling asleep, since grandma usually wakes at 9 am. "Four hours." I said. So, I tried everything I could think of to fall asleep. I listened to music, I listened to Harry Potter, until I realized I hadn't tried counting sheep. YES! COUNTING SHEEP. It works, y'all. I was soon fast asleep, I don't even think I got past 30 sheep jumping over fences. (Yes, I really do picture the sheep jumping over fences. Usually the sheep are very cartoon-like.) UNTIL! Mmmhmm, you guessed it. Electricity went off at 7 am. At this point I was so damned tired, that it barely woke me up. I could definitely feel the approx 90 degree heat smothering me, but I tried so hard not to let it bother me. I counted sheep once again. My little white, fluffy cartoon-like sheep jumping over perfectly brown and textured fences on a perfectly green hill with a perfectly dark blue sky speckled with glittering stars. Put me right back to sleep until my uncle yelled at me to wake up and hurry up because breakfast was ready. Awesome.

For the record, the high is supposed to be something around 115 degrees today. I am gonna try not to nap so I'm extra tired tonight, and on top of not napping, I'm gonna take Nyquil. Gotta do what you gotta do. And I really gotta sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Soul Mate,

    I count sheep too. It does work! Sometimes my sheep are pink and blue jumping over a white fence. Don't feel alone. It's natural to count sheep! haha.

    I miss you.

    ReplyDelete